[kea-dev] Requirements for the Logging and Diagnostics in Kea

Shawn Routhier sar at isc.org
Thu Apr 9 18:39:40 UTC 2015

One quick note, I may have more after thinking about the rest.

> On Apr 9, 2015, at 11:30 AM, Marcin Siodelski <marcin at isc.org> wrote:
>

> On 09.04.2015 07:48, Shawn Routhier wrote:
>>
>>> On Apr 7, 2015, at 4:10 AM, Marcin Siodelski <marcin at isc.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> One of the goals for the Kea 0.9.2. release is "Logging and Diagnostics Improvements". This includes a number of little improvements and tweaks to the existing logging system, but some of the possible enhancements are much more significant than this.
>>>
>>> I have created the requirements document http://kea.isc.org/wiki/DiagnosticsRequirements for "Logging and Diagnostics Improvements", which is meant to summarize the requirements mentioned in different discussions we've had so far.
>>>
>>> This document is still a "draft" because there is the outstanding requirement which we're discussing internally and I am not sure if there is a reliable way to implement it. That is:
>>>
>>> "Kea MUST provide an utility to automatically locate a core file after server crash to prevent future server runs from overriding the core file."
>>>
>>> Note that not only does this requirement provide a way to prevent override of the core file but it also allows for having a convenient way to put all useful debugging information in a single place (The same utility could copy the current configuration file, lease file, log file etc).
>>>
>>> However, I am not familiar with any standard and reliable way to locate the core files. On Linux I know that there is a core_pattern file but it may redirect the core file to a program, rather than save it in the specific location on the disk. In that case, you don't really know where the core dump goes.
>>>

>>> Please review all other requirements in the document and provide your feedback.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Marcin Siodelski
>>>
>>> DHCP SW Engineer
>>> ISC

<snip>

>> Note that in the CSV case we may have several files that represent the “lease file”.  As they
>> are in the proper format we would probably want to simply copy all of them as part of the
>> collection process.
>>

> So, you're proposing to add the requirement for the tool to merge the csv files into a single file? Although, it is probably convenient, I guess we can get away without it for now. Just browse multiple files.

No, I don’t think we need to add that requirement.  And actually I think we shouldn’t.
I think we want to try and get as close to a copy of what the user is using when trying to
do debugging.  The problem could be in how the multiple files are being handled in which
case a tool that moves them into a single file would eliminate the issue and we wold be
left wondering why it works fine for us and doesn’t for the user.

Mostly I think we just need to remember that we need to collect all of the files that may
exist for the memfile version (and may need to state that clearly to the user if they are
collecting files for us).

<snip>