[kea-dev] Requirements for the Logging and Diagnostics in Kea

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Fri Apr 10 17:15:18 UTC 2015

On 09.04.2015 18:27, Shawn Routhier wrote:

>> On Apr 9, 2015, at 9:09 AM, Marcin Siodelski <marcin at isc.org> wrote:
>>

>> On 09.04.2015 13:16, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>>

> <snip>
>

>>> 4) I suggest that we include requirements to dump the contents of
>>> incoming and outgoing packets (if requested) to a file in binary format.
>>>   This will be outside the normal logging mechanism, but a packet trace
>>> could be useful in some diagnoses.
>>>

>> I agree that this is a useful one. But, do we really want to include it for 0.9.2 as a requirement? Perhaps tag it as SHOULD, rather than MUST, and treat it as a stretch goal?
>>
>> Marcin
>
> One other item we may want to consider is an actual trace option in the code.
> In ISC DHCP we have an option to have the server save all the input and output
> information in a binary file.  This allows a user to send us a trace file that we
> can replay on a system that is similar to the users.  This can be quite useful to
> see what is happening but it does require a fair amount of work to figure out
> what all the inputs and outputs are and to save them as appropriate.

I have moved the ticket #3788 to review. I think that the document
sufficiently addresses the comments that I had received from Stephen and
Tomek. There is a valid point about the possible performance
implications but since the requirements for logging performance are
rather vague right now, it is probably good to keep in mind the comments
but I don't see anything I could add to the doc in that respect.

There is a discussion we're having with Shawn right now. I am not
certain if there is anything more that I should include as a result of
this discussion?

If there is something that must be fixed in this document in your
opinion, please state so. If there is nothing glaring, I'd want to
finalize it on Monday and close the ticket.

Marcin