[kea-dev] link-local-only operation

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Fri May 15 14:56:32 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a DHCPv6 PD use case where the DHCPv6 server (acting also as a delegating
router) is always on the same link as the DHCPv6 client (acting also as a requesting
router). There is therefore no reason that I should have to assign a non-link-local
address and prefix to the link, since link-local-only would get the job done. But,
kea does not appear to allow for link-local-only configurations.

In a configuration like this, it should be possible to tell the kea server to service
all clients connected to the link even though the link itself does not have a
non-link-local address and prefix assignment. Much in the same way that you
can use "ping6 -I ifname ..." to tell ping to use link-local over a specific interface
name. Can kea be extended to address the link-local-only use case?

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com