[kea-dev] link-local-only operation

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Fri May 15 15:32:58 UTC 2015

Hi Marcin,

Correct.

> This client doesn't request IA_NA because it does not need anything above the
> link-local address, as the link-local address is generated by the
> device. Is this correct?

That is right. On it's "upstream" link over which it issues DHCPv6 PD messaging,
the client needs only link-local and will never request IA_NA. The client then
uses its delegated prefix(es) to number its "downstream" link(s).

> Does the server need one pool of prefixes from which it delegates
> prefixes to the clients (requesting routers) on the particular link?

Yes, the server has  a pool of prefixes from which it delegates prefixes to the
clients on that link. In my case, I do not want to burn one or more of those
prefixes by assigning one to the link that connects the clients and servers;
I want that link to remain as link-local-only.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com