[kea-dev] Adding MYSQL backend support

Sallee, Jake Jake.Sallee at umhb.edu
Thu Jan 14 03:43:47 UTC 2016

I hope this is the correct place to be asking this question.  If it is not or if there is another place I should be using as well please let me know.

I am planning on adding MYSQL as a supported config backend for Kea; it seems to be a natural outcropping of my FOSDDI project.

I wonder if anyone is already working on this. I am still in the planning stages and I would hate to do a fresh implementation if someone else is farther along than myself.

If someone else is working on this I would be very willing to assist in anyway I can.  I would also be very interested in hearing from them directly.

It is possible, of course, to simply write a wrapper script and parse the config info out of MYSQL into a JSON file and let Kea read that. But that feels klunky and I can see where errors can creep in.

I think native built-in support for a ubiquitous service like MYSQL as a config backend is a huge plus for Kea. Given the fact that Kea already can use a DB store for its leases, extending that to the config file seems to be a logical situation.

As always I welcome any ideas or feedback the community may have.

Jake Sallee
Godfather of Bandwidth
System Engineer
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor