[kea-dev] Cassandra pull requests

Andrei Pavel andrei.pavel at qualitance.com
Fri Aug 18 16:58:48 UTC 2017

Was not pestering, just wanted to know where to put my stuff. Regarding
that, I've decided to change the 3 Cassandra PRs and I've just finished.
Also added a couple of other PRs. Hope you find them as exciting as I did.
Wrote explanations in the commit messages. I have more, but it's tiresome
work so in order to triage, whenever you're available, could you please
tell me which of these additions could be of interest to you? A simple *yes*
/*no* would do.

   1. *mulithread *processing of packets (thread-safe for Cassandra, would
   require additional work for MySql and PostgreSql): 8x lease allocations on
   limited hardware
   2. *tools/defines-resolver.sh.in <http://defines-resolver.sh.in>*:
   allows #ifdef blocks in any file with seamless integration in automake, we
   used *#ifdef*s in scripts.
   3. add *--nonet* back to *xsltproc* commands in Makefiles, they force
   cache usage and greatly improve speed, I may have wrongfully and
   unknowledgeably removed them
   4. *kea-admin* commands: *db-create*, *db-remove*, *create-db-and-users*
   (for unit-tests: keatest DB, read-only permissions, other annoyingly hard
   setups),* lease-drop*
   5. *clang-tidy* integration with automake (Kea does have cppcheck,
   although not currently working, see "various changes to Makefile.am" PR for
   a fix, but maybe another linter wouldn't hurt?)
   6. *--pedantic* flag alongside -Werror; in Kea, it yields only the
   following warnings (which is impressive):
      -         extra ‘;’
      -         ISO C++ forbids zero-size array
      -         overflow in implicit constant conversion

They are all done in our copy of the code. I would just have to migrate.
Also, I'm aware of "*Initialize logging before reading configuration" *having
an issue. Will give it a try soon.

Thank you for your time,
Andrei

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Thomas Markwalder <tmark at isc.org> wrote:

> On 8/17/17 9:19 AM, Andrei Pavel wrote:
>
> Hello ISC,
>
> There are a few pull requests I made some time ago.I will be attempting to
> update them and solve any of their showstoppers by the end of the month.
>
> Before that, I will be preparing several other pull requests. Some of them
> are updates to everything *Cassandra*-related. These are major changes
> and probably the last of such grandeur. They include replacing the
> Cassandra data types from *void** to *boost::any* (thus solving trac4525
> <http://kea.isc.org/ticket/4525> [1]) and migrating stress tests to *google
> benchmark* (which is where they belong) along with the integration of
> google benchmark in *Kea*. I can quickly conjure a full changelog
> beforehand if necessary.
>
> These changes can be mapped perfectly to the existing 3 PRs. I would
> prefer mapping them as such since it halves your reviewing effort. My
> question is, do I mess up any current review progress if I amend them?
>
> [1] http://kea.isc.org/ticket/4525
>
> --
> andrei pavel
> [image: qualitance.com]
> junior c++ developer
> +40 (748) 220 135 <+40+%28748%29+220+135>, qualitance.com
> <https://www.qualitance.com/>

> Duly noted.  We aren't ignoring you we just have a lot of staff on
> vacation this week.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas Markwalder
>
> ISC Software Engineering

andrei pavel
[image: qualitance.com]
junior c++ developer
+40 (748) 220 135 <+40+(748)+220+135>, qualitance.com
<https://www.qualitance.com/>