[kea-dev] Kea Remote Access

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Fri May 25 10:03:40 UTC 2018

Jerin John writes:
> I wanted to know whether Kea provides an authentication mechanism since the
> interface needs to access the server controls remotely. I believe this
> functionality is absent from the API and CA, so I could use your advice on
> how to go about it.

=> no, the choice is to allow only local access (the idea is if someone
has root powers on the local system nothing can protect against him)
and to document ways to extend this to protected remote access
using nc/netcat for Unix sockets or any http/https common tools
for kea-shell (my favorite is stunnel but others work well too
and are documented).

> Also, I presume the leases statistics provided by the API covers complete
> information for the entire server, or do I need to query the backend
> databases/memfile separately.

=> the server provides complete statistics even (just merged) when
the backend is shared between two (or more) servers.

Thanks

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>