[kea-dev] GSoC 2019 with ISC - initial proposal and thoughts

Ambauen Daniel (ID NET) daniel.ambauen at id.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 25 09:45:49 UTC 2019

Hello Franek

I’m only a kea user but I would like to share some thoughts about this topic.

1. I would only implement counters no time-series, because our days there are so many powerful
tools available for collecting time-series (prometheus, Influxdb …).
If you setup kea in in a larger setup, you would like to use a in you department already
present monitoring and alerting system.

2. Kea should be open to suche monitoring system.
For example a build-in HTTP endpoint for prometheus would be very convenient.

3. If the API call to retrieve the statistics has an option to reset the counters,
we could easy retrieve time-series via the API with out additional computation.

4. If kea could write the statistics to a file or to syslog could be interesting as well
for some user.

I wish you look at GSoC 2019

Regards
Daniel