[Kea-users] IA_PD without IA_NA and reserved Prefixes

Wido den Hollander wido at widodh.nl
Wed Apr 20 14:39:07 UTC 2016

> Op 20 april 2016 om 16:06 schreef Wido den Hollander <wido at widodh.nl>:
>

> Hello,
>
> My use-case is where I want to run a DHCPv6 server which does IA_PD, but
> doesn't
> do IA_NA.
>
> The clients in this case obtain their address through SLAAC and additionally
> can
> get a prefix through IA_PD.
>
> Additionally I only want assigned prefixes to be allowed. Only if a
> reservation
> is present I want to hand it out. Otherwise no prefix is assigned. That part
> seems to work by using the 'out-of-pool' mode for reservations.
>
> In Kea I can't get this configured since it always requires a subnet.
>
> "subnet6": [
>         {
>             "subnet": null,
>             "interface-id": "VLAN709",
>             "reservation-mode": "out-of-pool",
>             "reservations": [
>                 {
>
> This doesn't work, the same as leaving 'subnet' out of the configuration.
>
> Is this possible with Kea?

I actually found out that this already works. Just define a 'subnet', but do not
define a 'pool' inside the subnet6 section.

My clients are now able to obtain a prefix through IA_PD but never get a answer
for IA_NA:

[kea-dhcp6.alloc-engine/1856] ALLOC_ENGINE_V6_ALLOC_FAIL
duid=[00:01:00:01:1e:94:17:e8:06:d4:36:00:04:87], tid=0x189a81: failed to
allocate an IPv6 address after 0 attempt(s)

Wido