[Kea-users] Domain name appears twice for a printer

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Tue Jan 12 10:44:56 UTC 2016

All,

tl;dr Maybe put at '.' on the host name? How can I do this in Kea?

At 2016-01-04 15:25:27 +0100
Shane Kerr <shane at time-travellers.org> wrote:

> I have an HP LaserJet Pro 200 color M251n, and I noticed in the Kea SQL
> table that the hostname was:
>
> laserjet.my.domain.my.domain
>
> All other devices have either blank names or proper names, like:
>
> android-341db4fa80e8ebba.my.domain
>
> For the moment I have fixed this by going to the printer control web
> thingy and done Networking -> Network Identification -> Domain Name
> (IPv4/IPv6) and set that to "my.domain". (It defaults to DHCP.)
>
> This solves my problem, but I'm happy to try to help debug this in the
> general case since it points to a problem either in the printer or Kea.
> Any Kea developer have advice about this?

I poked around a little bit more.

Kea is sending back something like this:

            Hostname Option 12, length 25: "NPI037B01.zonnestelsel.tk"
            Domain-Name Option 15, length 16: "zonnestelsel.tk."

This works for other clients, but I think that this printer interprets
the hostname as relative to the domain-name option.

Unfortunately RFC 2132 is ambiguous on this point:

3.14. Host Name Option

   This option specifies the name of the client.  The name may or may
   not be qualified with the local domain name (see section 3.17 for the
   preferred way to retrieve the domain name).  See RFC 1035 for
   character set restrictions.

Perhaps that "may or may not" has been clarified by later RFC? (I
didn't see anything that looked like it did at a casual glance.)

My guess is that if the hostname had a trailing '.' that it would be
interpreted as absolute instead of relative, but I couldn't figure out
how to get Kea to do this.

Of course this may break other things, but I'm willing to
experiment. :)

Any advice?

Cheers,

--