[Kea-users] Build results of kea 1.1.0-beta on OpenBSD

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Tue Oct 4 11:47:19 UTC 2016

On 04.10.2016 00:32, Patrik Lundin wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 12:53:44PM +0200, Patrik Lundin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have looked at building kea 1.1.0-beta on OpenBSD and here are my
> > results.
> >

> [...]
>
> > I did notice that "make test" currently fails when testing LFC.
> > This seems to be a bug in the test code rather than the code being
> > tested. I have created a PR for that:
> > https://github.com/isc-projects/kea/pull/31
> >

> Currently waiting on feedback on the above PR.
>
> Another question has surfaced as well: when using "syslog" logging, the
> log messages look a bit strange to me:
> ===
> Oct  3 23:12:21 obsd-amd64-t02 LOCAL0: INFO  [kea-dhcp6.dhcp6]
> DHCP6_STARTED Kea DHCPv6 server version 1.1.0 started
> ===
>
> Note how the "facility" name is used as the message tag ("LOCAL0: ").
> Is this the desired behaviour? I would have expected the "LOCAL0" to be
> replaced with the name of the program that created the message.
>
> I don't have previous experience with the log4cplus framework, but
> looking at the code i see this in createSyslogAppender():
> ===
> log4cplus::SharedAppenderPtr syslogapp(
>         new log4cplus::SysLogAppender(opt.facility));
> ===
>
> Comparing this to the documentation over at
> http://log4cplus.sourceforge.net/docs/html/classlog4cplus_1_1SysLogAppender.html
> I get the impression that the first argument is "ident", not the
> facility string.
>
> Am I missing something?

Hi Patrik,

Many thanks for testing Kea on OpenBSD. I'll have a look at the PR which
corrects the test behavior.

As for the syslog output, you're correct that the app name is generally
used instead of the facility string. Note however that the logging
messages themselves contain the application name, e.g. "kea-dhcp6.dhcp6"
is a name of the logger which belongs to the "kea-dhcp6" application.

Nevertheless, I don't personally see an issue with changing the LOCAL0
to app name. Can you file a Trac ticket for this?

https://kea.isc.org/

Marcin Siodelski
ISC