[Kea-users] Host reservation "hostname"

Patrik Lundin patrik at sigterm.se
Tue Sep 6 16:02:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 06:08:38PM +0200, Marcin Siodelski wrote:

> Kea 1.0.0 supports hostname reservations for both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6.
> However, the general rule is that the servers won't send back hostname
> or client fqdn option back to the client if DNS updates are disabled.
>
> See http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#dhcp4-ddns-config for details.
>
> This rule also applies to statically assigned/reserved hostnames. We may
> need to improve the doc to make it more clear. The question is, though,
> whether you have some use case when the hostnames need to be returned to
> the clients when DNS updates are off?

My specific usecase is for the OpenBSD installer. It primes the machine
hostname with the content of the host-name DHCP option if it is present.
Currently I work around it by having a CGI script generate the response
file requested by the autoinstall system, where the hostname is parsed
out of the kea.conf JSON file on the fly.

Since kea 1.1.0 will support setting options for reservations this might
be considered good enough until then. I do agree the manual should
mention the DDNS requirement. I got very confused since it states
options will be synthezised, but no mention of DDNS being a requirement
for that to happen.

Another question that pops into my head with the addition of
reservations having support for setting options: if the DDNS support
_is_ active (meaning options are being synthezised), and an host-name
option is also statically configured for the reservation, what will be
used in the packet sent to the client?

--
Patrik Lundin