[Kea-users] Host reservation "hostname"

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Wed Sep 7 13:16:39 UTC 2016

On 06.09.2016 18:02, Patrik Lundin wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 06:08:38PM +0200, Marcin Siodelski wrote:
> >
> > Kea 1.0.0 supports hostname reservations for both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6.
> > However, the general rule is that the servers won't send back hostname
> > or client fqdn option back to the client if DNS updates are disabled.
> >
> > See http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#dhcp4-ddns-config for
> details.
> >
> > This rule also applies to statically assigned/reserved hostnames. We may
> > need to improve the doc to make it more clear. The question is, though,
> > whether you have some use case when the hostnames need to be returned to
> > the clients when DNS updates are off?
> >

> My specific usecase is for the OpenBSD installer. It primes the machine
> hostname with the content of the host-name DHCP option if it is present.
> Currently I work around it by having a CGI script generate the response
> file requested by the autoinstall system, where the hostname is parsed
> out of the kea.conf JSON file on the fly.

In your use case, do DHCP clients send Hostname option to the server or
they rather only include Hostname option code in the Parameter Request
List option, or both?

> Since kea 1.1.0 will support setting options for reservations this might
> be considered good enough until then. I do agree the manual should
> mention the DDNS requirement. I got very confused since it states
> options will be synthezised, but no mention of DDNS being a requirement
> for that to happen.
>
> Another question that pops into my head with the addition of
> reservations having support for setting options: if the DDNS support
> _is_ active (meaning options are being synthezised), and an host-name
> option is also statically configured for the reservation, what will be
> used in the packet sent to the client?

In that case, the statically reserved option (from host reservations)
will take precedence over any other option value (either generated or
the one proposed by a client).

Marcin