[Kea-users] Client classification based on MAC vendor prefix + multi-subnet DDNS

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Fri Jan 19 23:13:45 UTC 2018

Tobias - writes:
> First:
>
> I'm trying to put my virtual machines in a separate subnet. The virtual mac=
> hines have the vendor prefix of 52:54:00.
>
> If I would do this in code, I would use AND to mask away the last three oct=
> ets and then compare against 52:54:00:00:00:00 but I seem to be unable to d=
> o that.
>
> Since I was unable to fnd an example for Kea, I tried to do what people sug=
> gested for dhcpd since the expression looked similar to what is availible i=
> n Kea, but it didn't work.

=> in theory a substring(pkt4.mac, 0, 3) does the jobs
BTW you can debug classification expression (admin guide, 13.9. Debugging
Expressions). It should explain why it does not work in your example.

> Second:
>
> How would I configure DDNS to have two qualifying suffixes? The two subnets=
>  have different subdomains. I've been unable to find anything that works so=
>  I'm still stuck only having DDNS for the first subnet.

=> Unfortunately it is not yet supported (it was recognized as an useful
feature to add but no milestone was selected for this work and current
one (1.4) is already fully booked).

Thanks

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>