[Kea-users] DDNS subsequent failure after successful CHG_ADD

Jason Guy jguy at cumulusnetworks.com
Wed Feb 6 20:02:32 UTC 2019

The override-* options are more about honoring the client's wishes in terms
of DDNS, as explained in this section of the docs
<https://ftp.isc.org/isc/kea/1.5.0/doc/kea-guide.html#dhcp4-ddns-config>.

> kea-dhcp4 follows the behavior prescribed for DHCP servers in RFC 4702
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4702>. It is important to keep in mind
> that kea-dhcp4 provides the initial decision making of when and what to
> update and forwards that information to D2 in the form of NCRs. Carrying
> out the actual DNS updates and dealing with such things as conflict
> resolution are within the purview of D2 itself (Chapter 12, *The
> DHCP-DDNS Server*
> <https://ftp.isc.org/isc/kea/1.5.0/doc/kea-guide.html#dhcp-ddns-server>).
> This section describes when kea-dhcp4 will generate NCRs and the
> configuration parameters that can be used to influence this decision. It
> assumes that the *enable-updates* parameter is true.

...the DHCP client states that it intends to do the forward DNS updates and
> the server should do the reverse updates. By default, kea-dhcp4 will honor
> the client's wishes and generate a DDNS request to the D2 server to update
> only reverse DNS data.

- The parameter *override-client-update* can be used to instruct the server
> to override client delegation requests. When this parameter is true,
> kea-dhcp4 will disregard requests for client delegation and generate a DDNS
> request to update both forward and reverse DNS data.

- The parameter, *override-no-update*, can be used to instruct the server
> to disregard the client's wishes.  When this parameter is true, kea-dhcp4
> will generate DDNS update requests to kea-dhcp-ddns even if the client
> requests that no updates be done.

Hope this is more clear,
Jason