[Kea-users] how can I block clients based on hostname

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Thu Feb 28 08:03:31 UTC 2019

ahmed writes:
> I have a network where some clients clone the mac address of another
> clients, they all look the same when requesting for an ip. but luckily for
> me, each client has a unique host-name, so I have listed all into two
> categories [white list hostnames and blacklist hostnames]. I need the kea
> server to refuse offering a lease to any of the blacklist based on their
> hostname only, how can I achieve this.

=> if a list is not large you can use classification (the hostname
is in an option in the query packet) and a guard on pools or subnets.
 If both white and black lists are large it will be better to use
a hook to do the same thing but with all the resources from a full
programming language, e.g. C++ sets. List updates will be far easier too.

Regards

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>