[Kea-users] Still unsupported / ancient 1.1.0 in Debian stretch

Kevin Olbrich ko at sv01.de
Wed Jan 23 15:40:12 UTC 2019

Hi!

I know we had this talk several times in the past (including myself):
Debian repos still serve Kea 1.1.0 by default on stretch.

As the 1.1.0 release is unsupported by the devs (at least they said
so), this needs to change.
I know buster has 1.4.0 in repos and there are also newer releases in
stretch-backports.

A lot of projects had these problems with Debians style of packaging
(which itself is perfectly fine, I like it most of the time).
Debians guideline says, that a release should not be modified by
packages that break existing installations (for example removing
support for specific setups).

At least for my Kea setups, that has never been the case. I started
with 1.1.0 and upgraded to 1.4.0 without any problem (it fixed more
problems than creating new ones).

If Debian devs like to keep such ancient versions in it's repo instead
of providing one that is supported by the devs, would it be possible
to have an official repo?
PowerDNS has the same: They provide their own binaries while it's
still possible to choose the one, that the distribution forces you to
use.

While this should be fixed, Sury seems to have taken things in his
hand and provides unofficial builds in a public repository:
https://packages.sury.org/kea/pool/main/i/isc-kea/

He also provides all sorts of PHP builds for which he is famous.

I would realy like to see an official repo or recent builds of Kea in
the distribution tree.

Feedback is welcome!

Kind regards
Kevin