BIND 4 to BIND 8

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 26 20:13:36 UTC 1999

> I am running a Linux Box at work (Redhat 5.2) and am running BIND version
> 4.2.  I attempted to copy all my zone files to a solaris box (2.7) and use
> that as the DNS server.  When I ran the named that came with solaris it
> executed ok but everytime I do a nslookup it says something like
> "xxx.xxx.xxx.xx name server not found" and is not able to resolve (x's
> represent the IP).
>
> Is there something that I am missing here? I know the named that comes
> with 2.7 is BIND version 8.  Do I have to do something to my zone files to
> convert them to the new version?

Yes and yes.

BIND 8 uses named.conf files instead of named.boot files, with a quite
different format.  There is a shell script, named-bootconf, which will
help with the conversion.

For BIND 8.2ff, you should also add a $TTL line before the SOA in each
file.  This should have the value of the last [previously default TTL]
member of the SOA.

Then, when you re-run in.named [or named], check the 'syslog' output
for other problems caused by tightening of error checking in BIND 8.

Good luck!

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B