registering a dns server with register.com

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Dec 30 18:24:46 UTC 1999

In article <84ec74$98c$1 at bob.news.rcn.net>,
Alex Miller <newsgroupreply at bannerclub.com> wrote:
>I have a domain registered with register.com
>
>It's called acmeconscience.org
>
>I have created a canonical name acme.acmeconscinence.org
>and an alias ns1.acmeconcscience.org
>
>I would LIKE to specify ns1.acmeconscience.org as an
>authoritative name server.

NS records are supposed to point to A records, not CNAME records.

>I am using Suse Linux 6.2 and Bind is version 8
>
>Is there a named.conf directive that identifies the nameserver?

If it's "type master", the local machine is the nameserver.  If it's "type
slave", the "masters { ... };" statement identifies the master nameservers
by IP address.

>My computers host.domainame is the canonical acme.acmeconscience.org
>
>But more in keeping with the subject of this message,
>can I register ns1.acmeconscience.org

If you do this, the root servers will contain a glue A record for this
name, but your nameserver will claim that it's a CNAME record.
Inconsistencies like this are a common cause of problems.

>I know that network solutions uses a "host form" but I
>can't find any such equivalent thing in register.com

I'm not familiar with the details of their service, so I can't answer
this.  Why don't you ask them (I presume you chose to use register.com over
Network Solutions because of NSI's poor customer support, so why not take
advantage of them?).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com