Named ip_addr lists?

Richard Johnsson johnsson at hamilton.com
Sat Nov 13 17:23:06 UTC 1999

In article <BaZW3.23$KP4.837 at burlma1-snr2>,
Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com wrote:
> In article <199911121631.IAA15486 at hamilton.com>,
> Richard Johnsson <johnsson at hamilton.com> wrote:
> >It sure would be nice if there were a way to name a list of one or more ip
> >addresses. Something like an acl (an ipl?) but restricted to ip addresses
> >only. Then I could give a name like "stealth_servers" to a bunch of ip
> >addresses and use that in also-notify statements rather than repeating all
> >those addresses in several places.
>
> Well, at least 8.2 added a global also-notify statement, so if you have the
> same list of stealth servers for all your zones, you don't need to repeat
> it in every zone statement.

Yes, I know about that. I'm the one that found that using a global
also-notify caused a memory allocation problem (fixed in 8.2.2p3).

The problem is that I've got several different sets of stealth servers for
different domains, with overlaps of course. Having all those numbers
sprinkled throughout the .conf file is error prone and not very user
friendly. It also makes modifications to the .conf file more brain
intensive than necessary. I don't have enough zones to justify building
another mechanism on top to generate the .conf file from some other
database.