Wrong answers, when asked from different subnet!!

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Sep 13 20:48:07 UTC 1999

> I've set up Bind v8,
>
> and it seems to work fine... when i test it with nslookup it answers
> correctly.. for the ones it are authoratative for and also for the ones
> which it is not... (= it forwards the requests, without any problems).
>
> But when I tell a pc, on a different subnet, to ask my webserver.. it gets
> an incorrect answer on all counts.. except the ones, which my
> nameserver is authoratative for... ?
>
> why is this ? it's driving me crazy, and it says nothing of this in the DNS
> and BIND book, from O'reilly.

Actually, it says it all through.

It does not suffice to set up your DNS in a vacuum.  Your domain's
parent domain must register yours.  So, if your domain is klavs.dk,
then the .dk registrar must register you; but if it is
klavs.a.b.c.d.pipex.net.dk, then the a.b.c.d.pipex.net.dk registrar or
hostmaster must register you.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B