Rookie needs direction

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Sun Apr 2 08:57:44 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "marc" <marc5477 at home.com>

> How do I set up a DNS at home?

Obtain, install and configure a DNS server. This is the BIND users list,
but another alternative would probably be the Microsoft DNS server,
although I have no experience with running it on Windows 2000.

> Once the DNS is setup, how do I transfer my domain?

This depends on the registrar. Normally, you would make the changes either
by mailing in a new domain template or by submitting a web form.

> Once the domain is transfered, how do I assign the homepage of my website to
> the domain name?

Use A (and possibly CNAME) records on the primary DNS server to map the
host name(s) to the relevant IP address(es). You also need to configure
your HTTP server accordingly, especially if you intend to use name-based
virtual hosts, but that would be a question for
comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.