Cannot delegate primary nameserver to domain

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Apr 15 17:40:48 UTC 2000

    Iain> We have registered the domain name sixcolleges.com (as we
    Iain> are a Further Education college), with opensrs.net (via a
    Iain> reseller).

    Iain> We have our own nameserver at ntcwww.ntyneside.ac.uk
    Iain> (194.73.102.4) which also serves (or has served) .ac.uk,
    Iain> .co.uk, .gov.uk domains, without a problem.

    Iain> When we try to change the primary nameserver to
    Iain> ntcwww.ntyneside.ac.uk, the error returned to us is 'Unable
    Iain> to verify the existence of nameserver

Since this name clearly does exist in the DNS, whatever it is you're
using to make that change is broken. Take it up with the people who
provided that software or web page or whatever. It's their error and
it should be their responsibility to correct that. There's probably
nothing else that you can do other than suing them if they've failed
to honour their contract with you. Well I suppose you could cancel the
registration, wait for the name to become available again and then
re-register it with a competent domain registrar.