Newbie question - updated root nameservers file?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jan 19 23:27:42 UTC 2000

    Charles> I have just started setting up BIND 8.2.1 on RedHat
    Charles> 6.1. I noticed that the named.ca file was last updated
    Charles> Aug 22, 1997. When I tried to go to the ftp site listed
    Charles> to see if there was a newer one, I couldn't get
    Charles> there. Where can I check to see if my file is out of
    Charles> date?

See ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain/named.ca. The file's modification
date was 22/5/99 but the one that you're currently using should be OK.
The information in named.ca (or named.cache or named.root) is used to
ask a name server where the root servers are. So provided one of the
servers listed in this file points your server at the root servers,
everything should be fine.