how to send notify message to specific server

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Mar 27 09:20:14 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "Josh Higham" <jhigham at bigsky.net>

> I believe I read at some point that example.com is
> registered to someone (ICANN, ISC, InterNIC) specifically to allow its use
> as a testbed, without breaking things (ie, if you want to put example.com in
> your local servers, and play with it, you won't break connectivity to the
> real example.com).  Is this the case?

   The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) --- currently has the
   following second level domain names reserved which can be used as
   examples.

        example.com
        example.net
        example.org

(RFC 2606)

Note that the above quote says "used as examples", not "used as a test
bed". Since those domains are subdomains of existing TLDs, DNS lookups
will behave differently than for e.g. the "test." TLD.

      ".test" is recommended for use in testing of current or new DNS
      related code.

(RFC 2606)

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.