how to send notify message to specific server

FUJITA Kazutoshi fujita at soum.co.jp
Wed Mar 29 08:06:19 UTC 2000

From: Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com>
Subject: Re: how to send notify message to specific server
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 00:11:28 +0000

>     Fujita> [1] When the data is updated on 'dns0.my.domain.com', I
>     Fujita> want to let 'dns0.my.domain.com' send NOTIFY message to
>     Fujita> 'dns1.my.domain.com' only.  [2] And I want to let
>     Fujita> 'dns1.my.domain.com' send NOTIFY message to the other
>     Fujita> servers(dns[234].my.domain.com).
>
>     Fujita> Maybe, [2] is possible.  But, I don't know how to describe
>     Fujita> named.conf to realize [1].  Is this possible ?
>
> I think so. If you disable notify by default - use a "notify no;"
> clause in the options{} statement - your master name server won't
> send notifies. Zone-specific notify clauses can then be used to switch
> on notify processing. So, that way, the master server could/should be
> configured to only send a NOTIFY to dns1.my.domain.com and that can
> send NOTIFYs to dns[234].my.domain.com. Make sure that the name
> servers that get sent NOTIFYs have the address of the server that
> sends the NOTIFYs in their masters{} clauses. ie. That clause on
> dns1.my.domain.com should have an entry for the IP address of
> dns0.my.domain.com. The relevant zone{} statements in named.conf on
> dns[234].my.domain.com should have entries for dns1.my.domain.com.
> For [2], named.conf's also-notify clauses are your friend....

Hmm...
Sorry for my poor English.
My description was not suitable to explain what I want to do.

For example, nameserver for my domain 'soum.co.jp' registered
as following.

soum.co.jp      nameserver = lizard.foretune.co.jp
soum.co.jp      nameserver = ns1.iij.ad.jp
soum.co.jp      nameserver = soumgw.soum.co.jp
soum.co.jp      nameserver = widegw.soum.co.jp
soum.co.jp      nameserver = ns.fujisawa.wide.ad.jp

The data for zone 'soum.co.jp' is currently managed on
soumgw.soum.co.jp, which configured as 'type master' in named.conf.

I want to change the master to 'admin.soum.co.jp'.
Because I want to manage all hostname and IP address in my domain
including private address via Web(CGI) on 'admin.soum.co.jp'.

And this 'admin.soum.co.jp' placed internal LAN, which has private
address.
It can communicate with 'soumgw.soum.co.jp' only.

So, it seems 'soumgw.soum.co.jp' is just like a master server from
outside of my domain 'soum.co.jp', this is what I want to realize.

The NS record for the zone 'soum.co.jp' is described as
        IN      NS      soumgw.soum.co.jp.
        IN      NS      widegw.soum.co.jp.
        IN      NS      ns.fujisawa.wide.ad.jp.
        IN      NS      lizard.foretune.co.jp.
        IN      NS      ns1.iij.ad.jp.

If I set "notify yes;" in named.conf on 'admin.soum.co.jp',
'admin.soum.co.jp' tries to send NOTIFY message to all of above
(soumgw.soum.co.jp, widegw.soum.co.jp, ns.fujisawa.wide.ad.jp,
lizard.foretune.co.jp, ns1.iij.ad.jp).
Or I set "notify no;", named ignores "also-notify" clauses.

But I want to let 'admin.soum.co.jp' send NOTIFY message to
'soumgw.soum.co.jp' only, and I want to prevent to send NOTIFY to
other four servers(widegw.soum.co.jp, ns.fujisawa.wide.ad.jp,
lizard.foretune.co.jp, ns1.iij.ad.jp).

> Personally, I don't see the need for this complexity. Why wait for
> dns1 to update the zone and send NOTIFYs to the other name servers?
> What is the benefit of this extra overhead? Why not let dns0 send them
> to all the zone's servers so that the zone updates can be propagated
> everywhere at once?

Could I tell you what I want to do ?

> PS: PLEASE don't use invented domains like my.domain.com or fake IP
> addresses when you post questions to this list. Always use the actual
> names and addresses. For one thing, it makes troubleshooting easier.
> It also makes it a lot easier to provide clear answers when the real
> domain names and addresses can be quoted rather than abstract,
> invented ones. And sometimes those made-up names or addresses really
> do exist. For instance, the domains mydomain.com and example.com
> *really* exist.

Sorry, I do so in future including this time.

Regards,