how to send notify message to specific server

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 29 16:24:33 UTC 2000

In article <20000329170619X.fujita at soum.co.jp>,
FUJITA Kazutoshi  <fujita at soum.co.jp> wrote:
>If I set "notify yes;" in named.conf on 'admin.soum.co.jp',
>'admin.soum.co.jp' tries to send NOTIFY message to all of above
>(soumgw.soum.co.jp, widegw.soum.co.jp, ns.fujisawa.wide.ad.jp,
>lizard.foretune.co.jp, ns1.iij.ad.jp).
>Or I set "notify no;", named ignores "also-notify" clauses.
>
>But I want to let 'admin.soum.co.jp' send NOTIFY message to
>'soumgw.soum.co.jp' only, and I want to prevent to send NOTIFY to
>other four servers(widegw.soum.co.jp, ns.fujisawa.wide.ad.jp,
>lizard.foretune.co.jp, ns1.iij.ad.jp).

There's no way to prevent it from trying to send NOTIFY to the other four
servers.  There's no harm in it trying -- they just won't get through.

If you want soumgw.soum.co.jp to send NOTIFY messages to the other four
servers, put "also-notify { <their addresses> }" in its named.conf file.
Then, after it does a zone transfer from admin.soum.co.jp, it will notify
them and they will do their zone transfers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com