I'm lost and out of control... Please help "I can feel my hair turning Grayer"

Jack Flack toosafe at hotmail.com
Wed May 17 04:37:16 UTC 2000

I am new to this DNS thing. I am trying to setup two domains on a single IP
using (apache virtual name server?). Nothing is working, I am sure I have
several problems.

I keep reading about needing records in my DNS. I am not sure what I should
be doing? I have created two separate DNS listings at GraniteCanyon, one for
each domain. "they seem to be working"

My thought now is that I am going about this all wrong. Am I suppose to be
adding the second domain record into the primary record? (I read something
about using an "A" record???)

This is what I have so far.  Any Help is greatly appreciated....

domain1.com.  IN  NS  ns1.granitecanyon.com.
domain1.com.  IN  NS  ns2.granitecanyon.com.

; RP records authorize others to submit zone changes
domain1.com.  IN  RP ns.domain1.com. dlus.domain1.com.

dlus.domain1.com. IN TXT "D lus, NIC handle: xxxxx"

;Adddress for the canonical names
;many emailers expect the name localhost to exist
;in a domain with this specific, reserved address.
localhost.domain1.com. IN  A 127.0.0.1

;IP address for zone of my domain
ns.domain1.com.  IN  A 216.240.170.185

;Aliases
www.domain1.com.   IN  CNAME ns.domain1.com.
ftp.domain1.com.   IN  CNAME ns.domain1.com.
;news.domain1.com. IN  CNAME ns.domain1.com.
mail.domain1.com.  IN  CNAME ns.domain1.com.

;MX records for email addressed to the zone itself
domain1.com.       IN  MX  10  ns.domain1.com.

--------------------- DOMAIN 2 ---------------------------

domain2.org.  IN  NS  ns1.granitecanyon.com.
domain2.org.  IN  NS  ns2.granitecanyon.com.

; RP records authorize others to submit zone changes
domain2.org.  IN  RP ns.domain1.com. dlus.domain1.com.

dlus.domain1.com. IN TXT "D lus, NIC handle: xxxxxx"

;Adddress for the canonical names
;many emailers expect the name localhost to exist
;in a domain with this specific, reserved address.
localhost.domain2.org. IN  A 127.0.0.1

;IP address for zone of my domain
ns.domain2.org.  IN  A 216.240.170.185

;Aliases
www.domain2.org.    IN  CNAME ns.domain2.org.
;ftp.domain2.org.   IN  CNAME ns.domain2.org.
;news.domain2.org.  IN  CNAME ns.domain2.org.
mail.domain2.org.   IN  CNAME ns.domain2.org.

;MX records for email addressed to the zone itself
domain2.org.       IN  MX  10  ns.domain2.org.

PS any link for better documentation on dns for virtual servers would be
great.
THANK YOU for taking the time to read this.  :)

David Paulus