Reload or Restart

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Nov 3 23:05:16 UTC 2000

michab wrote:

> Kevin Darcy  (kcd at daimlerchrysler.com) schrieb:
> >I assume these changes are being made directly to the zone files,
> >right?
>
> right....
>
> >If so, then if the changes are spread out somewhat over different
> >zones,
> >you may want to consider using Dynamic Update instead.
>
> that=B4s not working cause the db-files were written by a skript...

And scripts can't be changed??

> >That way, you
> >don't have to worry about reloading the zones constantly. If the
> >changes
> >are mostly concentrated on just a *few* zones, though, then Dynamic
> >Update might make things worse, triggering more NOTIFYs, zone
> >transfers, etc. than just a periodic reload or reload {zone}.
> >Unfortunately, zones can't actually be added or deleted completely
> >via Dynamic Update. But ndc reconfig is a more lightweight alternative=
> >ndc reload for that kind of thing.
>
> okay.. to reload new added zones and modified zones it=B4s enough to ma=
ke
> ndc reconfig ?? would ndc reload ignore new added zones that were inser=
ted
> into the boot-file ??

"ndc reload" reloads *everything*: the config file as well as all of the =
zone
files. "ndc reload {zone}" only loads a specific zone, but if you have ju=
st
added it, named doesn't know it exists, so "ndc reload {zone}" won't work.
"ndc reconfig" causes named to discover the new zone, without needing to =
do a
full reload.

- Kevin