sendmail: sender domain must resolve

Mike Black mblack at CSIHQ.COM
Sat Nov 4 13:38:14 UTC 2000

Could be your reverse lookup needs fixed.
host 209.196.140.42
Host 42.140.196.209.in-addr.arpa. not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Me thinkst sendmail requires domain=IP depending on your rulesets.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth Porter" <shiva at well.com>
To: "bind-users" <bind-users at isc.org>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 9:03 PM
Subject: sendmail: sender domain must resolve

One of my users using Eudora is experiencing 451 "sender domain must
resolve" errors intermittently when attempting to send mail. (I've
confirmed this by checking my sendmail log, and it's not limited to a
single user.) He is using @kensingtonlabs.com as his envelope domain. I
checked with nslookup and it looks like our domain provider
(dns1.netlimited.net) is reporting the correct MX record for this
(priority 20, smtp.kensingtonlabs.com). Meanwhile, ns.brainstorm.net is
providing a valid PTR record for our mail server. At some point the
mail finally does go through.

This looks like an intermittent DNS problem, but I don't see anything
in my logs. Do I need to add some log-enabling lines to my
bind-8.2.2-P3 setup? (I don't currently have anything about logging in
named.conf.) The only named messages I see in /var/log/messages are a
periodic statistics message and occasional lame server reports.

The mail server is also the gateway and a caching DNS for our internal
LAN. It only listens to the LAN and forwards to Brainstorm.

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
http://www.harrybrowne2000.org/