Win2k & UNIX bind 8x

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Sep 11 16:38:08 UTC 2000

Kevin Darcy replied to Jeff Bowers:

>Additionally, I think
>it's also writing A records for the names of the Domain Controllers
>themselves directly into the domain. I don't know whether it can be
>configured on the Win2K side to use a subdomain for those Domain Controller
>names, or whether you could just get away with putting those A records in
>statically...

Put the "A" record in statically - assuming that the Domain
Controller is not going to move to a new IP address.  Then use the
procedure that Janet Dueck posted on July 21:

>To turn off Netlogon A Registrations
>
>1. Set the following registry entry:
>
>   HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
>        entry:  RegisterDnsARecords
>        type:   DWORD
>        value:  0
>
>2. Delete %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\netlogon.dnb
>
>3. Restart the netlogon service.
>
>Step 2 is missing from both kb article Q246804 and the win2k resource
>kit, Distributed Systems Guide pages 148 & 149.  If you don't delete
>netlogon.dnb before restarting the netlogon service the win2k DC will
>continue to send dynamic updates to the DNS server.

Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov