making queries - while restarting bind - possible ?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jul 2 10:56:51 UTC 2001

At 9:52 AM +0200 7/2/01, michab wrote:

>  in fact you´r right, but the special thing is, that we are working with the
>  DE-NIC, the german registrar for de-domains.... this one is asking
>  our NS permanently - so that´s not the solution, haveing more NS....
>  for the user who makes queries will this be an option... but not for the
>  registrar -  we need our PRIMARY UP 100% ---- also when it´s reloading
>  many zones... that´s still the problem ;(

	First off, the registrar should not be requiring any one server
be up 100% of the time.  Not even they can meet that requirement.
Moreover, not even the root nameservers nor the gTLD or ccTLD
nameservers can meet that requirement -- why do you think we have
thirteen of them?!?

	What they can reasonably require is that your zone(s) be
available from at least two nameservers (preferably on different
networks, etc...) so that if one of them goes down, the zone(s) will
continue to get served by the other.

	In addition, if you're using a standard multi-threaded version of
BIND 9, the server should be answering queries as the zones are in
the process of being loaded.  Obviously, it can't answer queries for
a zone that is not yet loaded, but for the ones that have been loaded
so far, it should answer just fine.

	I'm still convinced that the more zones you have, the more you
really *need* the kind of robust secondary nameservice offered by
Nominum via their GNS platform.  See
<http://www.nominum.com/services/gns/index.html> for more information.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */