Reverse address trouble?

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Sat Mar 10 12:22:47 UTC 2001

Larry Buss wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I look after a small site, nmwda.org, that is having trouble
> sending or receiving email from certain sites. I have gone over
> the local DNS configuration several times and as far as I can
> tell everything looks okay. I am beginning to think that their
> problem may be with their service provider not delegating the
> reverse zone to them or not having accurate PTR information on
> them. I was hoping that I could get some of you folks to
> check the site out from your domains to see if it something I
> messed up on or if it is a problem "upstream" from their server.
>
> The NS is, tj.nmwda.org (209.143.67.29)
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> -LB

Larry,

The problem is more complex than just reverse delegation.  The world
thinks there are four NS for nmwda.org and three of them have no SOA.

Doc-2.1.4: doc -v -p nmwda.org.
Doc-2.1.4: Starting test of nmwda.org.   parent is org.
Doc-2.1.4: Test date - Sat Mar 10 07:00:59 EST 2001
Note: Skipping parent domain testing
Found 4 NS and 4 glue records for nmwda.org. @a.gtld-servers.net.
(non-AUTH)
Using NSlist from parent domain server a.gtld-servers.net.
NS list summary for nmwda.org. from parent (org.) servers
  == auth1.dns.rcn.net. auth2.dns.rcn.net. auth3.dns.rcn.net.
  == tj.nmwda.org.
soa @auth1.dns.rcn.net. for nmwda.org. serial:
ERROR: no SOA record for nmwda.org. from auth1.dns.rcn.net.
soa @auth2.dns.rcn.net. for nmwda.org. serial:
ERROR: no SOA record for nmwda.org. from auth2.dns.rcn.net.
soa @auth3.dns.rcn.net. for nmwda.org. serial:
ERROR: no SOA record for nmwda.org. from auth3.dns.rcn.net.
soa @tj.nmwda.org. for nmwda.org. serial: 2001030902
ERROR: NS list from nmwda.org. authoritative servers does not
  === match NS list from parent (org.) servers
NS list summary for nmwda.org. from authoritative servers
  == tj.nmwda.org.
Checking 1 potential addresses for hosts at nmwda.org.
  == 209.143.67.29
in-addr PTR record found for 209.143.67.29
Done testing nmwda.org.  Sat Mar 10 07:01:02 EST 2001