BIND 8.2.4 NT binary kits available

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri May 25 17:19:15 UTC 2001

arvid at carlander.ac wrote:

> Ah, glad to hear progress on the NT binaries side.
>
> The vulnerabilities matrix on ISC's bin8 page does not list any
> vulnerabilities in 8.2.3.
>
> Could you provide any overview information on whether 8.2.4 differs from
> 8.2.3 mainly in fixes to minor problems or in addressing major security or
> functionality issues?

The main reason for the 8.2.4 release is "Fixes long-standing protocol
incompatibility
in DNSSEC support."  However, there were some other fixes that should cause
you to want to update your systems:
1) Out-of-memory condition on the master during a zone transfer is now reported
    in the master's log files.  Previously the slave just received a "Premature
EOF"
    message with no other information.
Specific to NT/W2K:
2) Accept errors during zone transfers were causing the receiving server to
exit.
3) Real error messages, replacing the "Unknown error" message.
4) xfer messages now recognized in the event log.
5) Rotated log files speeded up

There are also other fixes that are across all platforms.  Read the general
announcement on the 8.2.4 release.

> Reason for asking is that I just completed upgrading three servers to 8.2.3
> today :)

    Gives you something to do! :-)  Installation shouldn't take more than a few
minutes each.  You don't need to uninstall them or stop the service.
BINDInstall does all of that for you.

        Danny