Resolving without TLD
kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 23 21:31:36 UTC 2001
Turn on query logging on your local nameserver. Or run a sniffer. Either
method will tell you *exactly* what the web client is looking up in DNS.
adambrower at yahoo.com wrote:
> >>...let me emphasize again
> > > that the actual *url* to which my request resolved was:
> > >
> > > http://northpoint/
> > >
> > > exactly as typed, including the slash. No "expansion"
> > > took place. At the time, I went to northpoint.com,
> > > just to be sure I wasn't nuts.
> I'll take one more stab at this. When I went to the
> URL "http://northpoint.com", I reached the expected
> IP. When I entered "http://northpoint/", I reached the
> referenced unsecured front end. I will not take offense
> at the assumption that I am somehow ignorant of the
> "autocomplete" feature of most browsers (which are
> always disabled when I use them.) If readers don't know the
> answer, that's fine; but it strikes me as silly, lacking
> an explanation, to pretend that the phenomenon I'm reporting
> doesn't exist!
More information about the bind-users