Resolving without TLD

Danny Mayer mayer at
Wed Oct 24 05:52:33 UTC 2001

At 05:01 PM 10/23/01, adam brower wrote:

> >>...let me emphasize again
> > > that the actual *url* to which my request resolved was:
> > >
> > >       http://northpoint/
> > >
> > > exactly as typed, including the slash. No "expansion"
> > > took place. At the time, I went to,
> > > just to be sure I wasn't nuts.
>I'll take one more stab at this. When I went to the
>URL "", I reached the expected
>IP. When I entered "http://northpoint/", I reached the
>referenced unsecured front end. I will not take offense
>at the assumption that I am somehow ignorant of the
>"autocomplete" feature of most browsers (which are
>always disabled when I use them.) If readers don't know the
>answer, that's fine; but it strikes me as silly, lacking
>an explanation, to pretend that the phenomenon I'm reporting
>doesn't exist!

Just to repeat ourselves.  This is a browser question and has nothing
to do with DNS unless you can should what the actual query was that
the browser made.  Whether or not you enable or disable a browser
feature doesn't matter.  What counts is what it's actually doing. You really
need to be asking these questions in a Web news group and not here.
There is nothing that you've said that shows that you actually know
what the browser is doing, only what you are seeing and that's something
else entirely.


More information about the bind-users mailing list