Faster zone transfer/less traffic

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 10 20:11:38 UTC 2001

At 20Mb over a slow link, I think this might be one of those rare situations
where rsync (as recommended by DJB) might actually make some sense, even though
it's more work to download/compile/install/configure/maintain than simply
defining the zone as "type slave".

What you'd do is set up the rsync part (from a cron job or whatever), and, if
desired, a secure connection mechanism (e.g. ssh), and then define the zone as
"master" in both servers. Whenever the zone changes, rsync the file over to the
slave and then tell it to reload the zone, either via rndc (BIND 9) or (BIND 8)
via a "ndc reload" remotely executed on the slave box (again, it might behoove
you to set up a secure channel for this, e.g. ssh, although if you don't
already have ssh set up, it might make more sense to upgrade to BIND 9 so that
you can use rndc instead -- this upgrade is something you're going to do at
some point anyway).

- Kevin