PUBLIC/FREE DNS SERVER (Primary & Secondary)

Chad Ziccardi ziccardi at digitalfreaks.org
Sun Feb 10 11:45:47 UTC 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, jam wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
>     I have been trying my darndest to find a few public and free DNS servers
> that offer Primary & Secondary servers.
> I found two so far but lost the link to one of them. Regretfully the one I
> lost, for the most of what I recall from reading
> the website at the time, seemed to be just what I was looking for. The other
> one I found is here:
>
> http://soa.granitecanyon.com/
>
>     I know for a fact that there is another one but, I seem to be having
> difficulty in locating it. I do remember a few key
> things when I visisted this website. One is that the website's main site
> colors were Blue with white back ground. There was
> a blue header background <framed> and framed to the left was a little blue.
>
>     The services that this website offered was complete control over DNS for
> Free. And what was so great is that they had
> a great GUI interface via the web.
>
>     Also, for an example, if you created your first primary for
> www.mywebsite.com it would create a default zone files,
> mx records, etc...Of course there was plenty of room left to tweek, such as
> 'alias' for http, smtp etc.....
> The same goes for setting up your secondary.
>
>     Now, for the http://soa,granitecanyon.com/ website you really have to
> start from scratch and manually , weres as
> the  other website that I'm trying to find is much easier.
>

> If anyone knows were there are more FREE PUBLIC DNS service providers out
> there could you please respond
> to this post.
>
> Also, if anyone knows of the other website that I kinda of described above,
> could you please post the link.
> I know its vague and not much to go on, but from surfing the web for a month
> on trying to relocate it, I found
> that there is not many free public dns servers available, but I could be
> wrong.

hn.org is blue as you described, but blue and white is common among a few.

Here's a bigger list:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Internet/Servers/Address_Management/Dynamic_DNS_Services/
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Internet/Servers/Address_Management/

http://www.a2z-free.com/dns.php

I can't remember others right now, tho I have a few more lists bookmarked at
home.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Chad Ziccardi, Professional Slacker          cz at digitalfreaks.org
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."