bind backup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Nov 11 20:48:47 UTC 2002

MegaNet DomainReg wrote:

> I have a server running radius and bind. I want to be able to have a backup
> server ready to go incase the primary server "crashes". The backup server
> will be in a different location than the primary server.
>
> location A = primary server running bind 9.2/radius ip 1.1.1.1
> location B = backup server running bind 9.2/radius ip 2.2.2.2
>
> I plan to manually add a host route for 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2. In case the
> primary server in location A (1.1.1.) crashes send all traffic to location B
> (2.2.2.2).
>
> My question is since my primary server, which has an ip address of 1.1.1.1,
> crashes and bind 9.2 is no longer running on that server and a have a host
> route redirecting everything with a destination of 1.1.1.1 going to 2.2.2.2
> (location B), will I need any configuration options in bind to answer for
> address 1.1.1.1? I looked at the listen-on option.

By default, BIND listens on all available interfaces, and it scans the
interface list every "interface-interval" seconds for any changes. You could
have it scan more frequently if you want, but that might have a small
performance hit. Or, you could configure 1.1.1.1 in listen-on and just put up
with all of the error messages named will generate if that address is not
configured on the box most of the time...