Refer single machine in local DNS server to outside name resoluton?

hugo hugo at fractaltechnologies.com
Tue Oct 8 06:40:01 UTC 2002

Hi

I have a strange DNS problem. I have have a private 192.168 network for
a domain - let's call it "mydomain.com". I have a local DNS server for
that network (not publicly accessible). However, one machine with name
"www.mydomain.com" is in fact an alias for a machine in a different
domain, i.e. the IP address of that machine does NOT start with 192.168.
although that machine has the same domain extension as all other
machines which DO start with 192.168.

So I can't put "www.mydomain.com" in my local DNS as its IP address does
not match the IP range. But as this machine has the domain extension
"mydomain.com", the local DNS server refuses to look outside for an
authoritative answer - hence always returns that it can't resolve the
name to an address.

I seem to be caught in a catch 22: I can't list it with the local DNS
server, but I can't make the server look outside for the answer either.

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

Hugo

--
Dr Hugo Bouckaert
Systems and Programming Engineer

GeoInformatics Exploration Australia P/L
57 Havelock St
West Perth, WA 6005
PO Box 1675, West Perth 6872

Ph:       61 08 9420 7400
Fax:      61 08 9226 1299

www.geoinformex.com

This email and any attachments may be confidential or legally
privileged. If you received this message in error or are not the
intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any
attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining,
distributing, disclosing or using any information contained herein.
Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you
for your cooperation.