simple DNS issue

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Fri Sep 5 19:03:50 UTC 2003

In article <bjaj0q$2per$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Adrian.W <adrian at groovetip.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Please assist me with this simple DNS question, if you will:
>
>Groovetip.com is my current website that accepts emails as well. Now,
>I am considering recieveing email delivered from adrian at NEWDOMAIN to
>be delivered to adrian at groovetip.com. And then, if I create any new
>email addresses on groovetip.com, their equivalent will be made
>available for wajsbrem.com. Thus, someone sends an email to
>adrian at NEWDOMAIN it goes to adrian at groovetip.com. If I send someone
>sends to bill at NEWDOMAIN it goes to bill at groovetip.com. At the same
>time, I'd like NEWDOMAIN.com to show the web presence of groovetip.com
>keeping NEWDOMAIN.com in the address bar. Correct me if I am wrong,
>but a simple CNAME record for NEWDOMAIN.com's DNS such as
>'NEWDOMAIN.com CNAME groovetip.com' will do all this? Would certain

You can't create that CNAME record.  Since NEWDOMAIN.com has to have an SOA
record, and the same name can't have both a CNAME record and any other
records, the CNAME record is prohibited.

What you can do is give NEWDOMAIN.com an MX record pointing to
mail.groovetip.com.

>changes need to be made on your end for the emails to be placed in the
>right mailbox and not be rejected as coming from a 'foreign' domain
>even though the username is correct?

Yes, you'll need to configure the mailer to recognize NEWDOMAIN.com as a
local domain.  The details of this depend on the mail software you're
using.

>Say I'd like Info at NEWDOMAIN.com to be delivered to a mailbox
>NEWDOMAINInfo at groovetip.com, I would also like to keep the duplicated
>web presence happening. In this case, would it mean that the CNAME
>couldn't be used and I'd have to setup NEWDOMAIN.com's DNS files with
>a series of MX records and some type of other ones? What would they
>be?

Correct.  The sending mailer is supposed to remove aliases from the address
before sending the message, so the receiving mailer wouldn't be able to
tell which name was originally entered by the user.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA