ping problems with BIND9

Kerry Thompson kerry at security.geek.nz
Wed Dec 1 18:56:53 UTC 2004

Mike
Some information on what the client OS is would help.

(taking a punt that they are *nix) It sounds like the clients have
/etc/resolv.conf configured, but /etc/nsswitch.conf hasn't got "dns"
configured for hosts lookups. A key difference between dig/host and
vanilla commands ( ping, telnet ) are that dig goes straight to
resolv.conf to find DNS servers, whereas ping uses normal libraries to
read nsswitch.conf then oges to resolv.conf

Kerry

--
Kerry Thompson
IT Security Consultant