ping problems with BIND9

Mike Branda mike at wackyworld.tv
Wed Dec 1 19:22:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 13:56, Kerry Thompson wrote:
> Mike
> Some information on what the client OS is would help.

Sorry.....isn't everyone in the world using linux??  ;^)  both the test
client and server are SuSE Linux.  Although once testing is done there
will also be Apple G5's and XP clients.

> (taking a punt that they are *nix) It sounds like the clients have
> /etc/resolv.conf configured

Indeed the name server has been added there.

> , but /etc/nsswitch.conf hasn't got "dns"
> configured for hosts lookups. A key difference between dig/host and
> vanilla commands ( ping, telnet ) are that dig goes straight to
> resolv.conf to find DNS servers, whereas ping uses normal libraries to
> read nsswitch.conf then oges to resolv.conf

I wasn't aware of the nsswitch file.  I'll read up it and check back
later.  do you know how this is handled then in Windows and Mac??

Thanks again for the help!!

Mike