Is this possible

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Mar 9 14:34:18 UTC 2004

I wrote in reply to some posting:

>> You could have the W2k3 zones AD-integrated, so each W2k3
>> DNS Server would be a "master", but then you run into
>> serial number problems as documented in MS article 282826.

and Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard at Tesco.NET> replied:

>This is, of course, a red herring.  Since the serial number is irrelevant when
>one is using Active Directory database replication, there are no problems with
>it to run in to.

This is NOT a red herring.  This newsgroup is concerned with BIND, and
when one mixes an MS multi-master zone with a BIND slave, there could
be serial number issues, as MS documents in 282826.  I had enough
serial number issues with ONE MS master (since fixed with newer MS
builds), so I have no desire to try MS multi-master to see what might
happen.  In my configuration none of my clients queries the MS DNS; all
are configured to access my BIND slaves.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov