Problem connecting to website

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Nov 5 01:29:26 UTC 2004

Brent Atkerson wrote:

>Hello group,
>I am no where near a whiz at DNS but had it set up and running fine for a
>couple of years.  Well, until recently.  I received a new block of IP
>addresses a week or so ago and had my router configured and thought
>everything is fine however I still have some sites that are not accessible
>using www..  For example today from here I am not able to access
>http://www.abbeyservice.com but I AM able to access http://abbeyservice.com
>which seems very weird to me.  IF I put the IP address of the server in my
>hosts file and associate it with http://www.abbeyservice.com I am able to
>access it using the www.  The DNS information (zone files, name servers at
>registrar, etc.) have been changed for about a week now and am still having
>this problem.

Well, both www.abbeyservice.com and abbeyservice.com resolve just fine
for me, and www.abbeyservice.com is not aliased or delegated in any way,
so both names should be equally resolvable (or unresolvable).

Of course, you haven't really described your name-resolution
infrastructure at all, so one can only speculate what your problem may
be. Most fundamentally, are you forwarding your queries, or does your
nameserver try to resolve names itself by following delegations and
asking the authoritative nameservers? If you're forwarding, verify that
your forwarders are providing recursive service: if they're not, then
this might explain why you can resolve abbeyservice.com (which might
have been in the forwarder's cache) but not www.abbeyservice.com (which
might have been absent). If you're not forwarding, try querying names
from the authoritative servers directly.