A question about using forwarders.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 8 21:13:11 UTC 2005

No, an NXDOMAIN response is considered definitive, and no other
nameserver/resolver/forwarder will be consulted. The purpose of having
multiple forwarders is for redundancy in case one or more forwarders
stop responding or respond too slowly, *not* to get a "second opinion"
just because you don't like the first answer received. It's basically
the same methodology that a stub resolver (e.g. a typical PC client)
uses; in fact, forwarding basically turns your named instance into a
stub resolver with caching.

As for your larger issue of trying to resolve disparate sets of DNS
information (e.g. internal and external) within the same namespace
hierarchy, either break things up into separate zones/subzones, or
duplicate one set of information into the other zone, e.g. make your
internal DNS a superset of your external DNS.

- Kevin