Purpose of /dev/tty in named

Bill Larson bind9 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 7 02:58:38 UTC 2005

If I do a "strings /usr/local/sbin/named", I see a reference to
"/dev/tty" (along with "/dev/null" and "/dev/random").  This use of
/dev/tty appears to be coming from the "isc_keyboard_open" function in
lib/isc/unix/keyboard.c, which is used in lib/isc/entropy.c.

Does "named" really use /dev/tty?  In particular, when configuring a
chroot environment for named, what possible consequences are there is a
/dev/tty isn't available in the chroot environment?

Bill Larson