dns ? slow terminal services, exchange

mfahey at sbcglobal.net mfahey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 14 21:02:21 UTC 2005

Here is the problem so far:

1. Terminal Services is extremely slow after you hit OK to login. Takes
about 3 minutes for the desktop to come up. Sometimes after that you
can close and reopen the session easily then at some point that I can't
determine, it does the 3 minute wait again.

2 Exchange server over the internet to the web interface is extremely
slow just to get the login to come up. Then usually once you get the
login it's quick to start up and bring you to the web page. Locally it
runs PERFECT, that is to say through outlook. The same speed problem is
experienced by accessing the local web page on the server from a
workstation or going out to the internet interface.

3 Web pages are also very slow to load initially.

This is driving me crazy. I assume that it's a DNS problem but all
resolutions seem to be working. I've done nslookup, without fail.
DCDIAG and netdiag return no problem results. I've checked over the DNS
entries multiple times. I think the SOA is burned into my retina. I'm
wondering if deinstalling would reset everything or if it would pick up
it's old settings after reinstall. I am open to any ideas. There is
very little in the DNS event viewer. Just a note about the DNS service
talking to the NAT service but i Have another server that does exactly
the same thing and doesn't have any of these problems. I've watched the
packets as they go back and forth but can't really make enough sense
out of it. I'm open to any ideas and will let you knwo if I've tried
them. I have taken the server completely off the network and hooked it
to a laptop to make sure there's no faulty hardare chattering away.
That did nothing. Same problem. I'l leave it at that. Please give me
ideas, I'll tell you what I've tried.  This is the point where I don't
mind going back to check that it's PLUGGED IN etc. Stupid ideas are
welcome, after all this I might have forgotten something small. Thank
Mike