Upgrade from 9.2.1

Nicola Canepa nicola.canepa at sys-net.it
Tue Jan 18 17:29:49 UTC 2005

Check the content of the file named.run, inside the directory specified in
the "options", or in the directory where you run named from.
It should give you a reason.

Nicola

Carl O disse:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to install bind from source on my debian linux pentium pro.
> The
> old version that debian provides, seems to have several security holes in
> it
> so I thought I would try building it from the source. Everything seems to
> .configure and make fine but when i actually try and run named it just
> goes
> right back to the command line without any sort of error at all. Needless
> say name lookups dont work and the service isnt running. Also whenever I
> try
> and run rndc it gives me a " rndc: connect failed: connection refused "
> message. I never used that program to start named before but i also tried
> starting it from
>
> ' /usr/sbin/named -c /etc/bind/named.conf '
>
> which just goes rigth back to the command prompt, not doing anything.
> Named -v reports the version as 9.3.0 so i think i installed it correctly.
>
> the configure line i used was
>
> ' ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/bind --enable-threads '  (i
> have 2 cpus)
>

> any help apreciated in getting this working. I am using my old named.conf
> from 9.2.1
>

> carl

Nicola Canepa <nicola.canepa at sys-net.it>
Veritas Certified Professional
Uff: 0521-918369
Cel: 348-1561144
SysNet,   Via Dossi 8,    27100 Pavia  - Italy
Tel.: +39 0382 573859,      Fax: +39 0382 476497