BT reverse ptr records

Brett Carr brettcarr at ripe.net
Mon Jun 27 11:19:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <d8kfmq$e0p$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "C" <c at co.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > hope this is the best group to post this in
> >
> > i have just moved over our office to BT from easynet
> >
> > with easynet we had our dns setup so we could run a mail server from the
> > office.   the domain had a sub domain 'mail.mydom.com' and easynet setup a
> > reverse record for this as well
> >
> > since moving to BT we have the same setup internally, however BT will not
> > change their reverse dns ptr/in-addr records to match our domain and i am
>
> They should probably delegate the reverse DNS for your whole subnet to
> your DNS servers.
>
> > worried that this will lead to mail being returned because the reverse lookup
> > does not match the domain it comes from
> >
> > is this true and if so how can i get round this
>
> Yes, it's true.  I think BT is being ridiculous.  I can't believe that
> an enterprise Internet connection would not include reverse DNS
> delegation.

BT Will do reverse delegation, well they certainly did it to us for a /24
for the last company I worked at:

dig @ns0.bt.net 82.74.194.in-addr.arpa ns

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @ns0.bt.net 82.74.194.in-addr.arpa ns
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;82.74.194.in-addr.arpa.                IN      NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
82.74.194.in-addr.arpa. 86400   IN      NS      nmx1.intrum.com.
82.74.194.in-addr.arpa. 86400   IN      NS      nmx2.intrum.com.

It may be more difficult to get for smaller ranges than /24 but they
should definitley be able to do it for you.

Brett..